Monday, July 27, 2009

Hardware Interrupts

Back to the basics! I want to plug holes in my knowledge so I am currently studying Tanenbaum's 'Operating Systems: Design and Implementation' also known as The Minix Book.

The topic is 'hardware interrupts'. This concept is a little difficult to understand for an application programmer who takes many things about the hardware and software for granted. Tanenbaum explains it well but I had to read it multiple times to grasp it. One reason is that the author does not provide a diagram to illustrate what happens when a hardware interrupt occurs. Maybe I will create one and post it here!

Comments welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Test comment on this blog entry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiki pedia is your friend,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt

    ReplyDelete